Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Frugal Stuff...And Yes, Spring is Really Here

After a few days of sunny-but-cold, I happened to glance at the flower bed...

Are those daffodil stalks -- with BUDS?!

The crocus and a hyacinth are blooming their heads off...

The mint planted last spring is actually showing STALKS...

And where in the world did all that grass come from?

The rose bushes, only sticks a few days ago, are sending out rosettes of leaves. Suddenly little topknots of growth are EVERYWHERE.

Guess Colorado has finally decided that it is indeed spring.

This bronchitis is hanging on. When I cough, it sounds like an eighteen-wheeler changing gears. We have a fundraising concert to do Friday night for the Brazil trip. But if I talk even a little, I'll lose my voice. So I don't. Dave, who tends to be quiet anyways, speaks even less. If it weren't for the Woofy Brothers, we'd have a dead-silent house around here.

Just found a wonderful new blog: http://www.velveteenmind.com She's feisty and a bit earthy. (Check out the guest post, weirdly illustrated, on baby poop -- and I could do without her f--- words.) But I love her graceful prose and thoughtfulness. Here's her post on running out of money:

http://www.velveteenmind.com/velveteenmind/2008/04/less-than-zero.html

Yesterday, to celebrate Earth Day, our local thrift shop ran a 50% special on clothing. Living in one of the richest counties of the U.S.A. has its benefits, when it comes to donations! Some generous soul in my size, bless her heart, dropped off a batch of stuff. And for her (and now me), it was only the best.

I scored a pale gold silk shirt (high quality)...a lime green linen bigshirt...a white unusual collar shirt...another linen blend shirt...and a Land's End pink snowflake nightshirt. Designer labels. Oh, and a batch of t-shirts perfect for the upcoming Brazil trip. All for less than $1 each, thanks to my volunteer discount. Yowza!

This bronchitis has got to go away sooner or later. In the meantime, there's writing (and ironing) to do.

Corned beef is simmering in the crockpot, and all's well with the world.

1 comment:

Megan : Velveteen Mind said...

Thank you! So glad you found me! And I do believe that "feisty and earthy" is the best description I've heard of myself in years.

Oh, and those "f***" words weren't mine. I don't censor my guest bloggers, so, uh, there you have it.

Seriously, thank you again! I think I should send this mention of my blog to my mom. She'd like to know that someone thinks I turned out well. ;)

Frugal Hits & Misses: March Report

 This has been a tighter month than most -- due in great part to some unexpected truck expenses. Last month's property tax payment sucke...