Saturday, October 11, 2008

It's Not Snowing Here...Yet

But it will be by tomorrow night!


We had a setback -- the contractor who's been working on the roof with us (and can only come by on weekends) stopped by to see Husband and casually said, "oh, by the way, I'm going elk hunting for the rest of the week. I'll come back early if I get an animal quickly [ ha ha ]."

So much for help on the roof.

It was gloomy this morning. As in fog drifting around the houses, the mountains hiding behind clouds. Cold and dreary. (Extremely rare for here. Really.)

Daughter #1, Husband and I spent half of this afternoon roofside, D#1 and yours truly yanking off shingles on the south side, and Husband replacing boards on the north side. We have two rounds of tarpaper on half of the north side, and once Husband is done with the boards, we can put the rest of the tarpaper up -- fast.

It started to rain while we were up there. No matter, I thought -- I can handle being damp.

Cindy came by with a plate of peanut butter cookies. What a wonderful neighbor.

It started to rain harder.

By the time Dave got the tarp pulled back down, sleet was mixed with the rain.

ENOUGH.

So we went inside, had hot coffee and built a fire in the fireplace, put a movie on. I fell asleep through most of it. The rest of the day was watching movies, supper and fixing a leak. (A nagging problem, now our roof is in flux...they've popped up here and there. Thankfully, I'd planned to paint the ceilings, anyways.)

Daughter #2 called with the news that up by her cabin in the mountains, they'd had 2 inches of snow -- and more was coming down. We're supposed to get it at this elevation (6250 ft) by nightfall tomorrow.

I don't think we'll be working on the roof tomorrow.

No comments:

The Crockpot Is My Friend - Redux

 Another goodie from the Brickworks files: Stephanie over at "A Year of Slow Cooking" has made it her goal to use the crockpot e...