Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Better

Got a much-needed pep talk yesterday from one of this blog's Faithful Readers about not trying to do everything for everyone. (Thanks, Marcie.) She's right, of course. Running myself into sleeplessness isn't going to help me...or the ones I love...or my customers and students.

Other things that helped:
*Making a list of everything I can think of that needs doing -- then sorting it into 'before' and 'after' this upcoming trip.
*Prioritizing: what I absolutely need for the trip. What absolutely needs to be done before I leave.
*Concentrating on doing the items on the 'absolute' lists first.
*Getting help with some things. (Daughter #1 spent last evening cutting fat quarters for kits, for example.)
*Admitting to myself that I am not Mrs. Perfection, and just doing what I can.

My dad is not going to get better. This may well be the beginning of the end. I can't change that. I can, however, change how I respond to it. I've made my peace with God about Dad being in His hands. (Not that God needed me to do this -- but I think He understands that we weak and mortal humans need to do it, for our own sakes.) I've told Dad how much I love him, and how important he is to me. There is nothing left undone in that respect.

I just need to keep trudging on.

* * * * * * * * * *

Some great stuff:

J.D. at Get Rich Slowly has some powerful thoughts on confidence and failure:
http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2009/02/17/how-to-build-confidence-and-destroy-fear/

Laurie at Crazy Aunt Purl gives an easy pattern for Fair Isle-style handwarmers:
http://www.crazyauntpurl.com (Feb 16 post)

And get a load of the inventive birthday cakes Life As Mom made!
http://www.lifeasmom.com/2008/05/bake-your-cake-and-eat-it-too.html

No comments:

The Crockpot Is My Friend - Redux

 Another goodie from the Brickworks files: Stephanie over at "A Year of Slow Cooking" has made it her goal to use the crockpot e...