Friday, May 1, 2009

Frugal, The Quilt Show...and more

Getting organized does help you be more frugal: Lynnae's got an excellent point!

http://beingfrugal.net/2009/04/30/a-look-back-one-must-be-organized-to-be-frugal/

Several times, I've re-purchased the same item because I needed it "now" and couldn't find it on the crowded shelves of Brickworks inventory. On one hand, we can always use the 'missing' stuff later. On the other, we're not able to use it when we can't find it.

Going on a trip helps with that. You make do with what you have.

I apologize about the gripefest a few days earlier...I like planes, but you are so STUFFED into them. I am starting to feel like a pimento.

Houston is an interesting place. Flat as a pancake, compared to home. Some flooding, too -- this week, they had 12 inches of rain in 12 hours. Wow! It's not bad in Humble, where I am. Some worries about the flu -- in fact, they shut down a few schools here to disinfect them. Lots of worries about the flu migrating over from Mexico, which is so close. Mostly just worries, though -- not reality.

Appraising is going well. Some lovely quilts here...and sterling work. But I feel a little sad at the dearth of hand quilting. Not much evident in the quilts hanging in the show. (One huge lovely exception that won the hand quilting award.) I understand this...I understand why. But it is still a touch sad.

It is strange, though, to enjoy so many beautiful flowers...palm trees...people in shorts strolling about...

and know that Sunday night, my favorite flowers were covered with 6 inches of snow.

Back soon. Welcome to those who got here from THE QUILT SHOW: My Crazy Quilts episode is running this week!

No comments:

But I LIKE Oysters...

  'Overheard a conversation about people talking about rich people and weird foods, and eventually they started talking about oysters.  ...