Monday, July 27, 2009

A Discouraging Setback

I was trudging through the final pages of the proofs last night, when I came on a note from the technical editor -- she thought I'd miscalculated on a block size. I was figuring cutting requirements, etc. for a 12" block -- but she thought it was 14".

She was wrong, in that it wasn't 14". But she was right -- it was really 13"!

Sigh.

And of course, it was the ONE BLOCK in the book that's used in three different quilts.

Double sigh.

After kicking myself up and down the boulevard, I set to and refigured all the sizes, yardages, cutting and assembly instructions for the three quilts. It took all night to carefully check everything, then continue on with the regular proofing. I e-mailed the last of it this morning to my editor...who, I'm sure, would be more than happy to cheerfully strangle me. And I deserve it.

Thank God, though, this got caught before the book went out in print.

And now I think I will take a quick snooze, before the heat shuts me down altogether. I need to make a quick run to the post office, and be available for questions on the book. I will be very grateful when this finally makes it to the printer.

No comments:

The Crockpot Is My Friend - Redux

 Another goodie from the Brickworks files: Stephanie over at "A Year of Slow Cooking" has made it her goal to use the crockpot e...