Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Wyoming

I enjoy the heck out of WalletPop's "Cheapest Person I Know" slide shows. Here's one to get you started. Sure, they can be disgusting, like the old lady who starts her woodstove with her used toilet paper. (If you've been to certain parts of Mexico, this isn't nearly the stretch you'd think -- since tp can't be flushed, but put in the trash basket, instead. I am not making this up. It's too hard on their septic systems.)
But I also take notes: like the guy who put his car in for an oil change, when told them he'd pick it up the next weekend. Saving, as a result, days' worth of parking charges while he went on vacation!

* * * * * *
I love Cheyenne, WY. It's just so clean, so matter-of-fact country...and so wide-open. The sky seems to go on forever over the plains.

The people there are wonderful, too...warm, friendly and very thoughtful. Three days of appraising reminded me of that. I've been appraising for them now for at least 3 years -- 4, actually, I think -- and the quilts are changing. Much less emphasis on flannel and 'for-the-bed' quilts (although large ones are still being made at a faster pace than some other places). More emphasis on experimenting with fabric and color -- especially, to my surprise, ocean themes and shades. (Like Colorado, there ain't much water around there, folks.)

They have their share of antique quilts, as well, though most I see have definitely been put to use for decades, keeping the family warm and comforted. Not much waste or frivolous stuff goes on around Cheyenne. Even the capital building is much more matter-of-fact than Denver's flibbertigidget gold-leafed dome.

I am missing you already, my Wyoming friends.

No comments:

The Crockpot Is My Friend - Redux

 Another goodie from the Brickworks files: Stephanie over at "A Year of Slow Cooking" has made it her goal to use the crockpot e...