Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Easter Island Topknots Explained?

Scientists are now positing (more) information about the strange red stone hats Easter Island's huge stone figures have worn:

*They seem to be some kind of symbol of leadership.

*The islanders may have thought that adding the red topknots actually brought the figures magically to life.

*The stone hats were quarried from a "secret" quarry, also with religious overtones, and were rolled along a path also lined with red dust.

Here's the partial report. I'm not so sure any of this is blindingly original stuff, but it's interesting, nonetheless.

1 comment:

Melisa @ Sweet Home said...

Interesting reading - I'd never even heard of this phenomenon. This is one of the things I love about reading your blog - you share the most interesting links, some of which are really obscure (to me anyway)that I'd never find on my own!

You Go, Kids!

  More great 'wholesome' posts via Bored Panda .. .