Friday, September 11, 2009

What Would You Eat If It Was Your Last?

I am not sure how I wander onto these contributions to the Department of Weird, but here's the latest:

A website that tracks final meal requests of Death Row prisoners from 1982 on.
(Looks like they're all from Texas)

I am amazed at how often certain items reoccur:
fried chicken
chicken-fried steak
Cokes (sometimes vanilla, sometimes regular -- Dr. Peppers are big, too)
cheeseburgers
bacon something -- often sandwiches, esp. BLTs
chocolate cake

But items requested range from a bag of Jolly Ranchers, a cup of tea (made with teabags) and 6 chocolate chip cookies, to mercy, justice and world peace. One prisoner requested that his last meal be given to a homeless person.

The only female Death Row prisoner request? fruit and a salad.

2 comments:

allie aller said...

this really is a weird subject...
I loved the meal being given to a homeless person request. That soul is going to be alright...

Sue Cahill said...

How hard it would be to choose, I can't imagine the thought process. I love so much food and think about eating and enjoy it so often I would be hard pressed to find the perfect last meal.

Having almost died last year, was hit by a car, I was glad I had gone to a fantastic Chinese restaurant for lunch with my husband that day. I didn't eat again, without assistance, for a few months. Glad that wasn't my last meal!

Sue Cahill (sbonetsue at yahoo dot com)

But I LIKE Oysters...

  'Overheard a conversation about people talking about rich people and weird foods, and eventually they started talking about oysters.  ...