Friday, November 6, 2009

Believing in Yourself - and the People You Love

I started life rather naively, believing that no one would deliberately do the wrong thing. Needless to say, I quickly learned that there were plenty of kids who would ridicule you, steal your lunch money and kick you in the shins, if they thought they'd be able to get away with it.

The kicker was a Government class in high school. Mr. Z gave us a game in 'life:' he assigned us various occupations, salaries, etc., then we would draw cards that would force us to make decisions that changed how the game would progress. One of my classmates decided that he wouldn't wait to see what 'life' (and Mr. Z) handed him -- he stole the cards he wanted out of the teacher's desk!

I saw him do it. Being a natural-born tattler, I immediately ratted on the kid to Mr. Z...who responded with a grin and "so what!" Right then and there, I realized that life wasn't always fair. (Though that classmate built a successful business in my hometown, I have never quiiiite trusted him.)

I can still be a bit starry-eyed, but am much more reticent, until I know I can trust the person. But once I do...there's no holding back.

* * * * *
Speaking of --

Get Rich Slowly has a fascinating post on statements (and attitudes) that can hold you back -- and how to deal with them.

One quilt down! I'm binding quilt #2 (an interesting rayon Crazy top); the client will pick it up tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Frugal Hits & Misses: March Report

 This has been a tighter month than most -- due in great part to some unexpected truck expenses. Last month's property tax payment sucke...