Saturday, November 28, 2009

(A Few) Day(s) After Thanksgiving Musings

It's been a nice rest...being with both Daughters. Cooking together. Playing Scrabble. (And arguing about which words are 'real,' and which aren't!) Watching the Three Stooges, in one big warm pile on the couch. Not worrying, about business or chores or responsibilities.

(Very happy sigh here.)

Since my ancestors came not long after the Pilgrims arrived at the Rock, I've always had a soft spot in my heart for them. The Pilgrims, I mean. (Plus one of my dearest friends, Chris, has an ancestor in William Brewster, one of the leaders.) My own family tie came with Isaac Cumings, who arrived here on the good ship Sally Ann. Life wasn't easy for him, or for any of the other potential DAR ancestors, but he persevered. Reminds me that I need to do the same.

If your Thanksgiving wasn't quiiite as peaceful, you'll enjoy the variety of strangeness at Awkward Family Photos. Thanksgiving's represented, as well as any number of Scary Santas and even more terrifying Easter Bunnies.

See? Other leftovers are just as delicious as the stuffing (forked straight out of the carton, like I've been doing while writing) and that sliced turkey. (By the way, the spatchcocking WORKED!! Moist, delicious turkey, done in less than two hours. But don't use a kitchen scissors...we did it much more easily with an electric knife.)

And don't forget to add a comment; every time you do it, you enter my ongoing contest!

And don't kill yourself. The work will wait until Monday. Honest.

1 comment:

Yvonne said...

Today IS Monday, and we got back home at 2 a.m. this morning, with older son driving most of the way. Halfway unpacked. It's Dickey's barbecue this afternoon and one more day with dear son before he flies back to San Diego tomorrow.

Got to spend time in Nebraska [Go, big Red!] with family including the blog-writing sister, my home-schooling sister and music teacher brother. We got to sing together only one evening... not enough. We're all back home now.

So glad you can do some reading. I just got delivery of a 1938 book by David Fairchild, a plant explorer who went all over the world to bring plants back to the U.S. (We'll hope he wasn't responsible for Kudzu and purple loosestrife.) Opening up a book with browned edges and handwritten notes and underlining is exciting to me.

Pleasant reading....

But I LIKE Oysters...

  'Overheard a conversation about people talking about rich people and weird foods, and eventually they started talking about oysters.  ...