Sunday, March 28, 2010

Saturday (Really, Sunday) Musings

It's past 1:30 a.m., but the fabric and embellishment kits are piled on the tables, waiting for students later this morning. A bunch of bolts of trim are piled in a corner, along with the fabric freebies I plan on handing out. The buttons are ready -- books stacked, ribbon roses and laces out. I can't wait for class to start. But as a result, I don't feel like sleeping, either! The curse of the quilt teacher...

In spite of an attack of nervousness (after all, this is my home guild!), the lecture for the Colorado Quilt Council went great. I saw plenty of old friends, and I showed Crazies ranging over two centuries, including a 70s hostess gown (with Woody Woodpecker-themed ribbon on the sleeves) modeled with great verve by Chris. I love to watch people's faces as they start processing Crazy history; for many, their only introduction to the style are Victorian era silk quilts. Even those are often admired for their stitching and color -- but rarely are the reasons for using those stitches...or colors...or fabrics...or designs...discussed. That's my job, to get people to thinking on a deeper level about these fascinating visual scrapbooks of the quiltmaker's life and passions.

I love this job.

No comments:

You Go, Kids!

  More great 'wholesome' posts via Bored Panda .. .