Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Best Financial Books

J.D. over at Get Rich Slowly posted a bit ago about his favorite "money" books -- and lots of people (including yours truly) threw their ideas in the pot, as well. I've only heard of some of J.D.'s book suggestions, but I intend to find some of them -- especially The Incredible Secret Money Machine, which he raved about.

Here's my list --

The Millionaire Next Door by Thomas Stanley (but don't miss his Millionaire Mind and Millionaire Women books, as well. (His most recent book, Stop Acting Rich, is good -- but I got more from the others.)
How to Live Without A Salary by Charles Long

The Complete Tightwad Gazette by Amy Dacyczyn (pronounced "decision")
Possum Living by Dolly Freed  (A profile on Dolly is here)
Debt Free Living by Larry Burkett
The Courage to Be Rich by Suze Orman (I learned a lot from her 9 Steps To Financial Freedom; her other books are good too, except the Road to Wealth -- don't bother.)
Frugal Indulgents by Kera Bolonik and Jennifer Griffin (a bit too obsessed with sex, and obviously just fine with getting wasted from drugs and alcohol -- but I enjoyed quite a bit of this book)
Frugal Luxuries by Tracey McBride (Frugal Luxuries by the Seasons is also great)
You Can Live on Half Your Income by Camilla Luckey

Good Old Days' series books are inspiring because they're based on real-life accounts -- I thought the Thrift, We Survived And Thrived and Kitchen titles especially good. (Try the Thrift title first.)



There...that's a start. If you've got additions, I'd love to hear them!

3 comments:

Tracey McBride ~ Frugal Luxuries® said...

Hello Cindy,

What a wonderful list, it is an honor to be included! Thank you. I'm off now to hunt down a few of the titles you mention that I've not read yet.

Thanks again!

Warmly,
Tracey McBride

Cindy Brick said...

Tracey, I'd say the honor was mine...you were a strong influence on reminding me that celebrating and decorating with taste and enthusiasm had less to do with money than with attitude. You sent me further along the road that Edith Schaeffer's books started.
I LOVE your books!
Thanks so much for writing.

FindSavings said...

I also like the smart couples, smart women, smart etc. book series. Very simple suggestions and it takes a sensitive subject like finances and makes it very comfortable. I feel like anyone can pick up and read it. I appreciate the additional recommendations. I will have to check them out.

The Crockpot Is My Friend - Redux

 Another goodie from the Brickworks files: Stephanie over at "A Year of Slow Cooking" has made it her goal to use the crockpot e...