Friday, September 10, 2010

Frustration

Another near-sleepless night, trying to sleep sideways on the pulled-out chair. It would fit if I was 5-foot or less....but at 5'7", I'm out of luck and perpetually hanging off the edge.

But both Husband and I were feeling hopeful, for once. This new 'rotor rooter' procedure would solve Dave's problem!

Well, hours later, it's finished. Husband has a headache and a scratchy throat, from where the camera tube went down his throat and into his digestive system. According to him, the doctor said they didn't find anything wrong -- "everything was normal."

But Husband talked to the doctor just after he'd come out of the anesthesia...was that it? Did the doctor say anything else?

I don't have a clue...because even though I was sitting in the waiting room (waiting, like I was instructed to), no one bothered to let me know. The doctor didn't come out. Repeated requests to the women at the desk only brought the response that Husband was ok in the recovery room and "they'd let me know when I could go back there."

Hours went by. Fortunately, friend Jo was there to keep me company. After two hours had gone by from the 'husband in recovery' comment, we'd had lunch and read everything in sight, I finally went back up to the desk and insisted I would like to see Husband. After some time, the front desk lady said, "Oh, they already took him back to his room!"

Husband, who HAD requested I be told, was unaware why I hadn't shown up sooner. Friend Jo, who is much more patient, was amused. (And taught me a good lesson in patience in the meantime.) And I was ready to bite someone.

So here we sit -- me, determined that I will wait it out until a doctor finally decides to bless us with his or her presence. And we STILL do not know exactly what is going on with Dave's infections, only that they're continuing to slowly recede. Today's day nurse, Gabrielle, sensing our frustration, has gone way out of her way to offer help with little things like tums for Dave's upset stomach, a fresh bottle of saline solution, a pat and encouraging word. She's a champ.

Thank God for all those small encouragements. Prayers are welcome.

No comments:

You Go, Kids!

  More great 'wholesome' posts via Bored Panda .. .