Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Airlines, Carryons and Checked Bags

I just finished an interesting post from Liz Weston, financial guru-ette, on why airlines should charge for carryons. Liz doesn't understand why people lug on those pull-suitcases-with-wheels, and try to stuff them into the bins, especially when they get on last of all, and could gate check them, instead.

Well.

I've made several flights this past month, and can speak to this, especially after a lovely flight from Grand Rapids, MI to Atlanta,GA, via Delta Airlines. (I was headed to Denver -- so the airline routed me south and east instead. I felt like a UPS package. Go, Delta.) 

Thanks to the Mama and several goodies I'd found, I was bringing home a heavier carryon suitcase than I'd brought. Much heavier, in fact. My group was one of the last called (not my choice, Liz!), and by the time I got on board, the plane was stuffed to the gills. With people and luggage. As I trudged to the back of the plane, the stewardess sweetly pointed out a tiny space in the very back: "You can put your suitcase there." (Hint to Liz: I TRIED to gate check the suitcase, and was told by the gate person, "We don't ever do that," in snotty tones suggesting I'd insisted on flying the plane myself.)

I puffed a little, trying to push the suitcase in. It didn't fit. I ended up in the back galley, pulling out stuff until finally the suitcase had a lower profile. (I had to push it into another bin, which entailed dirty looks from the people who had stuff in there already. It barely fit.) Then, holding my extra shirts in my arms, I had to make the people in my row stand up, so I could get in. They weren't tiny, nor were they polite. The rest of the flight I spent making myself as small as possible, and causing no trouble. (The stewardess, unlike the other staff I'd encountered, was actually quite kind during this embarrassment.)

Ironically, the flight from Atlanta to Denver was no problem. I re-packed the suitcase in the terminal, putting back the shirts, plus several other items from another bag. When time came to board, I didn't dare suggest gate checking. Just puffed on, lifted the bag up...and it slid in, with at least 8-12 inches on top to spare.
   Oh yes...and we were two hours late getting into Denver.

I learned some things from this escapade -- and this month:
*Checking bags is expensive. Two bags I needed to bring kits and samples to L.A. for the cruise cost me $120 roundtrip. At baggage claim, they showed up more banged-up than what they started. (This was United, in case you're wondering.)
*Not all airplane overhead bins are the same size -- even if they're from the same airline
*Some gate people just wish you'd go away -- a fact the Grand Rapids staff made abundantly clear. (I was trying to!)
*Stick with an airline that treats you right -- like Southwest. Not only do they let you check bags for free (Go Southwest!) and have a staff that treats you right...they understand about emergencies. When I was forced to cancel a flight only a few hours beforehand, due to Husband's week-long stay in the hospital, the Southwest rep did not hesitate to reschedule the ticket. When I need it, I can use it. No penalties.

Now that's the way to treat a customer.

No comments:

The Crockpot Is My Friend - Redux

 Another goodie from the Brickworks files: Stephanie over at "A Year of Slow Cooking" has made it her goal to use the crockpot e...