Wednesday, January 12, 2011

I'm Still Here...

The Mama and Cousin Joy have been visiting since Wednesday, and I've had a merry chase keeping up with them and getting other stuff done, as well. We hit the local outlet mall, went to Boulder to see Daughter #2, and today, we spent the second of two days reupholstering Daughter #1's couch. (The Mama is very, very good at upholstering.) 

    The upshot of it, though, has meant I've had very little time to spend online. To make things even more complicated, our second laptop bit the dust. Husband hates sharing computers, and argues that when I'm home during the day, I should be able to get all my work done online -- therefore, when he's home in the evening, he likes to have the computer handy for his own use. Preferably all evening, until nearly midnight. Then when he heads to bed, I have a quick few minutes to check e-mail, etc. I got to use the computer tonight after 9:30 p.m. to check in the Mama and Joy's flights tomorrow, without Husband getting upset about it. He takes this quite seriously.
     (Before Faithful Readers get all hot and bothered, and fire off suggestions to Tell Him Who's Who and What's What -- and such -- please bear in mind that Husband is generally a good ole boy, and really a dear in many ways. He asks very little of me most of the time, and he's bent over backwards helping out during Mom and Joy's visit. I'm trying to be accommodating, too.)

    Is this jockeying frustrating? Yes. Does it keep peace in the family? Yes. And that in itself is important. Fortunately, he bought another laptop, and it should arrive soon. Not soon enough, though. It's now 1:45 a.m., and I have to make a trip to the airport in not too many hours...

2 comments:

Yvonne said...

Is this snowy view from your house? If so.... lucky, lucky, lucky.

It's funny that those of us who respect the rights of our husbands fear that someone will think we should be rising up in feminine indignation. I, too, have a dear husband who I "give in to" on things less important to me. This man cooks, does all the grocery shopping AND earns a living. I'm lucky. When he gets me up at 8 a.m. to type for him, I'm willing to do it, even though I HATE getting up that early without my coffee and reading time. And he pays me for that work!

Wishing I were going to be seeing you in a class somewhere this year. Hope you keep just the right amount of busy.

Cindy Brick said...

It's funny you mentioned your DH...because my DH read this post on him, and grumped and grumped because I mentioned his possessiveness of the computer! (He never mentioned the 'nice' comments...) Ah, well. If this is the worst he can dish out, I can handle it. In fact, he's spending his day off (MLK's birthday) putting in a dishwasher...so I can take care of this disliked chore easily. What a guy.
I am forcing myself to be less busy -- because if I can stop and put things away between gigs, and clear away biz stuff that my staffers don't do, I actually get more done in less time. Noticed I was looking rather haggard in photos this past year; felt I needed to do SOMETHING.
And wish I could say this was our view -- but we have a lot less snow right now (and more buildings in the view). Thanks for writing, my dear...

Monday Stuff On the way to Other Stuff: Meltdown

     The nice thing about Colorado is that we have these horrendous snowstorms -- and within a few days, they're melting off -- fast. Al...