Monday, March 21, 2011

One of the Strangest (Delicious) Recipes Ever

Want an easy fix for tonight's supper? I adapted this from the Phony Gourmets, on a dare. Ridiculous. No way this could taste good, I thought -- I was wrong.


CHICKEN SUB ROSA

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups chopped chicken, cooked or not (or one large breast, cut up in chunks)
2 tablespoons chopped onion
small can mushrooms (or 3-4 fresh ones, sliced thinly)
1 1/2 cups water, plus a chicken bouillon cube (or 1 1/2 cups chicken broth)g
Totino's pizza (I like the 'three meat' kind, but whatever floats your boat)

Saute the chicken and the onion in the olive oil a few minutes, then dump in the mushrooms and water/broth. Let simmer a few minutes; pour in the bottom of a pie pan or 9" square pan. Place the pizza upside down on the chicken mixture, then cover with foil. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 min.; uncover and bake 10 min. more for a crunchy top. Serves 2; double for four.

What you get is a crunchy, savory sort-of potpie that does not taste like pizza. Veggies can be added to the chicken mixture...or serve them on the side. Husband loved it! I am amazed to be saying this, but I'll be making this dish again. And again.
(P.S. The PGs used snapper, instead of chicken, but that sounded fishy to me. Ork, ork.)

No comments:

But I LIKE Oysters...

  'Overheard a conversation about people talking about rich people and weird foods, and eventually they started talking about oysters.  ...