Saturday, June 4, 2011

Doing Your Job

It's a beautiful day here...warm air, with a slight cool breeze wafting through. The garden beckons. So does a book I've been nibbling away at: Solved and Unsolved, famous cases covered by authors from Conan Doyle to Dorothy Sayers.

So what am I going to do, instead? Load the dishwasher. Iron the blocks and fabric that have been soaking for two days. Go do errands. Get stuff for the upcoming fundraiser.

There are consequences if I don't do these things. Dishes pile up. The blocks and fabric mold. Customers don't get their books. And 60 or so hungry people expecting spaghetti tomorrow will get...nothing.

Trent over at the Simple Dollar has a good take on this, what he calls thinking about "The Long Road." If you take a few minutes, an hour, a day to do a job you don't want to, you'll benefit every single day after that. Even if it's Not Fun.

My Scotch/Irish forbears are big on this -- acting like an adult, when all you want to do is be a kid. I personally would much rather go play in the dirt, or wander off to the pool, rather than face schlepping all those teaching quilts to a safe place. It smells downstairs. It's wet and soggy.
    On the other hand, if I don't, the Safepro guys will box them up on Monday, along with the wet fabrics, and muscle them into the storage unit. A death sentence.

You know the answer. I'm off, to go Be An Adult. And I'll benefit from acting responsibly: there will be clean dishes next time we eat, blocks and quilts ready to show for the next teaching gig. And the next time I urge the girlies to buckle down and finish a job, I can say it without feeling guilty.

That's something, at least.





No comments:

But I LIKE Oysters...

  'Overheard a conversation about people talking about rich people and weird foods, and eventually they started talking about oysters.  ...