Sunday, October 2, 2011

The Squash Monster Strikes!

The garden continues to produce seasonally wayyyy past  I can ever remember, after more than a quarter-decade in Colorado. (In fact, we're up for breaking a 110-year-plus record in temperature: the highest ever in Oct was 10/2/1892, 90 degrees. No cold snap in sight.) Beans, tomatoes (little ones, anyways), and the biggest problem children: squash.
    Our three or four plants have produced literally dozens of pattypan squash. I tried giving some to the neighbors, but they've retaliated by giving back bags of their own yellow crookneck and butternut squash! (The stinkers.)
    No zucchini, darn it. Our plants did not do well, and it's been just cold enough at night that the zukes have stopped producing so much. I know how to use this veg: we can never get enough of it dipped in egg, breaded in cornmeal/flour, then fried. Crispy, salty, moist as you crunch through the coating -- yum.
    The problem is that I'm running out of ways to cook the 'other' squash! I've tried baking them, with mushy results. Next was dicing and throwing them into soup or stew -- not too bad. (Thought I'd experiment with vegetarian gumbo, or maybe ratatouille next.)
    We enjoy acorn squash stuffed with sausage, then baked. I'm not so sure this will work with pattypan, but I'm getting desperate enough to try anything at this point. My Hollander/Scotch forebears would be greatly upset if any of these veggies went to waste. Suggestions?

 See the white guy at right? Mr. Pattypan, thinking of more ways to put the Brick kitchen in an uproar.






4 comments:

Yvonne said...

Just in case you haven't done this yet: try just sprinkling some real maple syrup in the squash (and maybe some cinnamon?). Butternut is especially good this way, but I'm guessing any winter squash would taste good this way.

Cindy Brick said...

Good idea! Thanks for mentioning it, Yvonne! (I wonder if bacon sprinkled over would taste good with this, too...)

Jess said...

I probably could just tell you this over e-mail, but I figure it's worth a public comment-- I, Daughter #1, have also been running out of ideas to use for this weird little white squash...until tonight! Patty Pan Squash and Potato pancakes! I prepared the squash (sans outside "peel" and seeds/gunk) and the potatoes like hashbrowns-- grated them, squeezed any excess moisture out of them using a colander and dishcloth, then used equal parts Pattypan and potato, added 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (or flour), 2 eggs, parmesan, garlic, and leeks. Formed the mixture into pancakes, fried it on the stove, then put the pancakes in a single layer on a cookie sheet and crisped them for ten minutes at 450 degrees in the oven. Yum. Pattypan crisis averted. I'm assuming you can also freeze them the same way you can regular potato pancakes (i.e. do everything except the crisping step, freeze them in a single layer on a cookie sheet, bag them up, then crisp as needed). Love, Daughter #1.

Cindy Brick said...

YUMMY, I am going to try this, Daughter#1...thank you!

I was also thinking of scalloping it, mixing in cream and grated cheese and baking. It works with potatoes; it should work with this.
Love you, girlie.

A New Book's In The Future!

Just got the news -- this winter, I'll be working on a book for Arcadia Press!  It comes out in Fall 2018. It's a great opportun...