Monday, March 31, 2014

Monday Stuff On the Way to Other Stuff: A Very Moving Edition

It's warmer out (with a brisk, chilly wind), and the second daffodil is bravely blooming. The chickens are busy pecking at anything green that dares show itself. They don't like daffs, apparently, or the mint. (Go figure - it NEEDS some trimming back.)
     I am restless as all get-out.
     "I wish I could do something different," I said to the Brick, who is dealing with his own bout of spring fever. And we did -- a weekend of helping Daughter #1 move. Schlepping boxes, washing down baseboards and dealing with messiness in the kitchen, for days on end, gave me a true appreciation of being able to sit quietly at home...and not have to scrub marks off the wall. I still don't understand how she got all that stuff in that little studio, in the first place.
     We got home last night about 10 p.m., had some belated supper, and collapsed. Daughter just has a little more cleaning, plus the floors to do, and she gets her deposit back. Meanwhile, I look at my own grubby house -- it needs scrubbing, too. 
     Before I get started with that, on to:

An open letter to Gwyneth Paltrow.   Ms. Paltrow stated, in an interview with E! that it was sooo much easier to be a working mother in an office, than a movie star's lot. Specifically:
  
"It's much harder for me," she said. "I feel like I set it up in a way that makes it difficult because … for me, like if I miss a school run, they are like, 'Where were you?' I don't like to be the lead so I don't (have) to work every day, you know, I have little things that I like and obviously I want it to be good and challenging and interesting, and be with good people and that kind of thing."
     "I think it's different when you have an office job, because it's routine and, you know, you can do all the stuff in the morning and then you come home in the evening. When you're shooting a movie...then you work 14 hours a day and that part of it is very difficult. I think to have a regular job and be a mom is not as, of course there are challenges, but it's not like being on set."

One working mom's response is the link.
    Here's mine: Oh, Gwyneth, you poor baby.This musical interlude is just for you on the World's Tiniest Violin:




Planning for unexpected expenses. (From Moneysaving Mom) Speaking of unexpected:

A guy's thinking his girlfriend is pregnant with quintuplets. Lots of activity, fundraising, etc...but it turns out she isn't even pregnant at all!

Another guy finds bones in his backyard. Human bones.  (And they're really old.) Look in your own backyard for:

Dandelions and other spring tonic greens. From yours truly, via Penny Thots. Which brings up, of course:



 You might also enjoy my post on the pleasures of knitting and crochet, as well as the 50/30/20 dilemma.

Ten odd ways to make more money from your regular job. (From Penny Hoarder. This blog is great for unusual ways to make an extra buck or two.)

Cool colors for front doors. (Ours is currently close to the lavender shown here...but I'm bucking for the bright scarlet that we saw on so many Irish front doors.)



Bacon cheeseburger nachos? Oh my. (From Betty Crocker)



107 ways to save your family money. (From The Better Mom -- these are actually a series of helpful links, rather than just one article.)

Soft oat rolls -- good for soup, but they'd be a perfect (and easy) substitute for expensive hamburger buns.  (From Taste of Home.)



Nine things a woman can do to prepare for divorce. I've been very lucky, finding and living with the Brick for 32+ years. But there are others out there who could use this very practical advice.

A house helper to knit. Yes, I know this post is from 2006...but these are evergreen. And a pattern's included. (Wish friend Jo would knit one for me!) From Messy, Thrilling Life.



Get ready for spring...and all sorts of possible disasters. (From yours truly, via Midlife Finance.)

Did you know you get money, just for being a permanent resident of Alaska? Donna Freedman oughta know...

The value of a last-minute stretch (for food, that is), plus the merits of roasting your veggies and good cornbread. (From yours truly via Penny Thots.)

How much is enough for you to feel comfortable donating to someone else? (From I Pick Up Pennies)


Getting a promotion or wonderful opportunity...then feeling like you don't deserve it.  It's called the Imposter Syndrome by this academician. Nice to know that others struggle with this sometimes...

And that's it for this week. Have a good one.

P.S. I have stumbled onto some great videos lately, so will be posting these all week. One a day, hopefully. Come on back and check!


No comments:

The Crockpot Is My Friend - Redux

 Another goodie from the Brickworks files: Stephanie over at "A Year of Slow Cooking" has made it her goal to use the crockpot e...