Charley the dog, with his thick coat, loves it. He jumps around, kicking up big puffs of snow, then lies down in it. Back to the house, where he can toast his belly in front of the woodstove and dream of more.
|Sir Charles, deep in dreams.|
The infamous questions pose themselves again... different versions make their way now and then through blogdom. Cranky Bar had this version on her blog, so I thought I'd do my part, as well.
1. Are you named after anyone? Just my middle name, Joan -- after a cousin, Joanie. She's a year older.
2. When was the last time you cried? This afternoon, at the fantastic movie, Race. If you haven't seen this biopic look at the life of Jesse Owens -- you should.
3. Do you like your handwriting? Yes, when I'm feeling well. Overtired or overstressed, it just goes to pot.
4. What is your favourite lunch meat? Corned beef -- but I rarely have it.
5. Do you have any kids? Two daughters, 28 and 30.
6. If you were another person, would you be friends? Sure...why not?
7. Do you use sarcasm? Only when dealing with the girlies or my cousins. (It's a self-defense mechanism, from growing up one of the youngest cousins in a huge family of uncles, aunts and kids who all lived within 20 miles of each other. If you were lippy, the bigger kids left you alone.)
8. Do you still have your tonsils? Had them taken out in kindergarten. (I don't remember much from the hospital, except staring at a dark ceiling and being scared -- and Mister Ed was on tv in the childrens lounge.)
9. Would you bungee jump? Naahhh. I was a rock climber for years. Deliberately jumping off? Are you nuts?
10. What is your favourite cereal? Not a fan of cereal. I'd rather have bacon and eggs, or toast with lots of butter.
11. Do you untie your shoes when you take them off? Why? I don't generally wear shoes that need to be tied...clogs, boots and flipflops, instead.
12. Do you think you're strong? Sometimes. It depends.
13. What is your favourite ice cream flavour? Bubble gum! But you can rarely find it.
14. What is the first thing you notice about people? Their eyes. I tend to look right into strangers' eyes, first thing. (Which sometimes gets me into trouble.)
15. Red or pink? Neither -- I'd go for blue, yellow or green.
16. What is the least favourite thing you like about yourself? My weight. I am carrying way too much poundage right now.
17. What colour pants and shoes are you wearing right now? Sorry -- no pants, no shoes! It's Saturday; still have my robe on.
18. What was the last thing you ate? Homemade baby pancakes with pecan bits -- and steak, fried quickly with a little butter, garlic and steak salt. (It was delicious.)
19. What are you listening to right now? Christmas music.
20. If you were a crayon, what colour would you be? Cobalt blue
21. Favourite smell? Lavender -- the strongest possible. (French is good.)
22. Who was the last person you talked to? The Brick. (He's vacuuming in the kitchen right now, for some odd reason.) Unless you count the dogs -- then Charley. (We went out to check on the chickens.)
|...except a LOT more snow|
23. Favourite sport to watch? College football. Go Blue...and Buffs!
24. Hair colour that's real? I started out very blond, darkened over the years...and now it's nearly all gray. Ironically, the Brick says it makes me look more blond.
25. Do you wear contacts? I have them -- but rarely wear them. I stick to frameless glasses.
26. Favourite food? Chocolate-covered toffee with chopped nuts. A good steak. Pretty much any kind of seafood. Chopped salad. A baked potato with crispy skin.
27. Scary movies or happy endings? Both! I LOVE movies. Probably comes from rarely seeing them, growing up. I didn't visit a movie theatre until I was a junior in college. (A long story. Someday I'll explain.)
28. Last movie you watched? Race -- but last night we watched Homeless for the Holidays and The Revenant. (Liked the first -- the second had its moments, but some stuff didn't make sense. Example: who falls into a mountain stream and doesn't act like it's that cold? Have you ever BEEN in a mountain stream???)
29. What colour shirt are you wearing? pale blue (robe).
30. Summer or winter? Winter right now...but I like autumn a lot.
31. Hugs or kisses? Both. Plus a gentle touch.
32. Favourite sweet food? Seven-layer cookies. Chiffon cake. Dark chocolate with nuts. (But I really prefer popcorn or Doritos.)
33. What book are you currently reading? I read several at a time. Currently: Christmas Stories (Charles Dickens), Drood (about Charley), a couple of cookbooks (for cookie and dinner ideas), The Man Who Ate His Boots (about the search for the Northwest Passage), and The Sinking of J. Bruce Ismay (The owner of the Titanic, who survived. I don't know whether to admire or be sorry for him.)
Just finished reading a few corny holiday novels, plus one of Stephen King's latest. This is unusual; I stick mostly to nonfiction, unless it's a novel I'm rereading.
Plus any magazines that happen to be laying around.
34. What is on your mouse pad? I have a mouse pad?
35. What did you last watch on TV? Last Sunday's Broncos football game. (They lost to the Tennessee Titans. Sigh.)
36. Favourite sound? Our dog Abby 'talking' in the morning. The Brick's voice. The girlies' voices. The wind in the trees. Classical music. Pretty much any kind of music -- except reggae.
37. Rolling Stones or Beatles? Probably the Beatles -- a lot of the Stones' work isn't that meaningful. Nasty little kids being mean, hoping to shock you. Boring.
38. What is the farthest you have traveled? Czechoslovakia -- or Brazil, if you're heading south, instead of north and east.
39. Do you have a special talent? I seem to be able to listen and relate to a wide range of people. I'm told I'm also a very good storyteller.
40. Where were you born? Sparta, Michigan. On a farm north of Grand Rapids.
Now it's your turn. Want to do some navel-gazing, too? Pass it on...and put your answers in the comments area. I'd love to see how you respond to these.