Thursday, September 6, 2018

We Chose An Investment Plan -- And Why We Did (Part IV)

Hopefully, you've read PART I: THE BACKSTORY, PART II: LIFE and PART III:  COPING  before you stopped by. This is a financial look back at our life -- and why we chose to hire an investment firm.

PART IV:  RETIREMENT

     The Brick was happier in his new IT position for Douglas County Schools than I'd ever seen him. His salary was up, as well -- almost what he'd been making as an engineer.

     My business was doing extremely well, with every promise of improving.

     Both daughters were out on their own, and doing well. Life was great!





Then came 2014 and 2015. 

The summer of 2014, The Mama had heart surgery...and begged me to stay with her while she recovered. (Brother was not happy about this, but can you say no, to your own mother?...I couldn't.) That meant 3 1/2 months away from home, squeezing in teaching and writing commitments while living nearly 2,000 miles away from my family. The Brick was a champ, keeping the house and our local commitments going, and still working full-time. (I really am lucky, to have this man in my life.)

Our little dears...


In 2015, through the kind ministrations of a woman (who wasn't even my client, by the way), I lost my appraisal certification. By the time I'd regained it, only a few months later, the damage was done. The cost was high, financially, physically and emotionally. 

     In the long run, though, it made me stronger. I applied for (and am in the process of finishing up) a second certification, this one covering all aspects of personal property, with ASA. That has definitely been an improvement, and allows me to protect my clients from any problems with the IRS, insurance companies and courts. Without that painful 'push,' I might have just continued on at my usual pace.

The Brick was going through his own special brand of hell, with changes at his office. The future was not promising. Although he'd planned to continue working for a few more years, he began thinking about retirement, instead.

We began adding up all the money in our accounts: savings, 401ks, etc. I had one, from Rodale; the Brick had several. (Every time he'd started a new engineering position, he'd begun a new 401k -- typical.) Even some of the savings bonds, accumulated for the girls' college, were still in the deposit box. (We'd paid cash, instead.) Considering that we'd lived on less than $20,000 annually for years, the total was astonishing. The Brick could actually afford to retire! And thanks to some years of service we'd been able to purchase, (thanks again to using Mom's inheritance for that, instead of some luxuries), he would have a pension -- one that was more than what he'd made working some years.

Wow. 

Our house value had almost tripled. Based on it, we were able to borrow enough to buy a new-to-us truck (again, heavily researched) and 5th wheel trailer (ditto). We got both at bargain basement prices, compared to Blue Book values.


The fifth wheel -- it's a lot bigger than it looks.


Inspired by the Motorcycle Summer, we wanted to do some traveling. I also have teaching/judging/appraising gigs scheduled around the country. With a trailer, the Brick could come with -- and so could the dogs.
     We planned to continue to reside in Colorado. The girlies were both still living in Colorado, but friends already offered to let us park on their property most of the year. With care, my income and a willingness to pick up extra work now and then, we would be fine.

Double wow! 

But what would we do until then?

Yes, it's coming...



PART V:  CONCLUSION


No comments:

The Crockpot Is My Friend - Redux

 Another goodie from the Brickworks files: Stephanie over at "A Year of Slow Cooking" has made it her goal to use the crockpot e...