Monday, May 20, 2019

Two Completely Different Events -- And Baring Our Souls (Or Our House)

Our lilacs are blooming! 

My grandma had a big, fragrant lilac bush in her backyard. Its first purple blooms heralded the entry of spring. More than forty years after her death, that bush is still sending up growth in its Michigan yard.

    I love the smell of new-blooming lilacs.

This one comes via Pinterest - and Etsy


This year, for the first time, we had a large batch of blooms on the lilac bush we planted a few years ago. I've been looking forward to eating breakfast outside on the deck, smelling the perfume. Normally, we would, but...

Those lilac blooms are covered with snow right now. 


We have at least 6 inches, and more's coming down.

This was from May 2017 -- but it looks like this now, too. Charley loves it.


Fortunately, the air is not that cold, so the plants I haven't planted yet (thank God) don't seem that upset. They're just hanging out on the warmer concrete of the back deck, protected by an overhang, and the warmth of the house. Snow this month isn't that uncommon for us. Nonetheless, you keep thinking, 'Hey, it's May. Spring, right? Flowers, warm breezes and rolling in the grass??'

Or...shoveling out the sidewalk and grilling in the snow. It happens.




The house is definitely emptying out. Downstairs is clear -- upstairs has pockets of stuff here and there, but is emptying quickly. We worked so long packing boxes that my legs were shaking before we knocked off for supper. The cleaning guys cleared out the kitchen today. The result: we had to go to the garage to find any tea for supper. The can opener is persona non grata, and I'm betting we'll have to search for the coffeepot (not to mention the coffee) before we go to bed.

     Ah well...at least we still have a bed to sleep in. That won't be the case much longer. 

And the snow will melt soon. It always does, this time of year. 



Thanks Pinterest -- via the-poppters-apprentice

2 comments:

Cheapchick said...

Ack...I feel your pain. We are not moving but cleared out most of our 2 bedrooms and office yesterday in preparation for carpet install Thursday. We are now sleeping on a mattress on the floor and last night I suddenly panicked because I couldn't remember where I had put my clean underwear. I found it and have a little suitcase in the bedroom with necessities now until we can put it back together.

Cindy Brick said...

I can relate, regarding the clean underwear! Fortunately, I had some extra in the dirty clothes pile...and the washing machine is still in place.

I have a couple of speaking and teaching gigs coming up -- I made SURE items for those were packed in one suitcase. So at least I know where those samples are, for the talks.

It's just plain weird around here. The Brick says he feels like a displaced person -- which we are. But these things need to be done.

Thanks so much for writing. Hopefully soon you'll be digging your toes into that carpet.

Frugal Hits & Misses: March Report

 This has been a tighter month than most -- due in great part to some unexpected truck expenses. Last month's property tax payment sucke...