Thursday, December 22, 2016

Moonin' for 'Shine

Just a few days to Christmas.

The Mama is having a wonderful time talking...and I am starting to learn how to zone her out enough to get my work done. 
      If I keep my head down and continue to type, she doesn't seem to need me to answer. Saying it in my vicinity is enough. I can't change her ways -- and really, I don't have the right to demand that she do so. But I can change how I respond to them.

One Christmas present waits in the refrigerator:

APPLE MOONSHINE




   A lot of recipes are floating around out there in the Ethernet, including this step-by-step version on Instructables, and videos, like the one below from Youtube.
    Sometimes it's called 'Apple Pie Moonshine.'




To my surprise, this stuff is not only easy to make...but delicious! After doing some experimenting, here's what I finally came up with.

APPLE MOONSHINE   (The Brick Way)

1/2 gallon apple cider
1 quart apple juice (use bottled pasteurized apple cider here too, if you can get it)
1 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon   (some recipes skip this and add a cinnamon stick in each jar, instead)
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

1 bottle (750 mml) of Everclear grain alcohol
1 small slice of apple for each jar   (I used a quarter each of small 'lady's' apples)

Combine the first batch of ingredients. Bring to a gentle boil, until sugar is dissolved. Let cool. Mix in Everclear, and pour mixture into clean quart or pint canning jars, up to the neck. (Add a slice of apple first.) Add canning jar lids...or use other clean jars with screw-down lids, instead.
     Our batch filled 11 pint jars.

After a few days in the refrigerator, The Brick took a tentative swig, and smiled. "Tastes a lot like mulled apple wine," he said. I am not a big drinker, and the first taste was too alcoholic. But the second smoothed right out... this is good stuff.

You can use less alcohol, or more juice/cider, to lessen the bite. Regardless, though, you should try this tasty winter drink, especially when coming home wet and chilled on a stormy night.

     It will warm you right up. 


Photo from Instructables



No comments:

But I LIKE Oysters...

  'Overheard a conversation about people talking about rich people and weird foods, and eventually they started talking about oysters.  ...