Monday, August 22, 2011

My Top Ten --Best Purchases, That Is

Len Penzo is exploring this idea in his current post.

Hmmm... what would I say?

1. The first house we ever bought
    $72,000 seemed like an insane amount of money at the time (1988), but we sold it for enough a decade later to have a hefty downpayment on our current house. House #2 has not been quite as much a bargain -- it was a mess,. and had to be completely rewired when we first moved in. Plus, it had a lot of cosmetic issues that we have been slowly dealing with over the years -- including ugly bright blue siding. (We eventually replaced it with mossy green James Hardie siding. Now that was a good decision for the money!)


2. Our Jeep Cherokees
    We've had three now --all purchased used-- and every single one was a workhorse. We've racked up more than a hundred thousand miles on each -- in the case of the first one, more than 250,000 miles -- and they've rarely let us down. I love these sturdy, reliable vehicles. (Now, if they'd get better gas mileage...)

3.  Our College Educations
    Husband used his Masters in mechanical engineering for decades. I use my Masters in English lit every day. Both degrees opened doors we never would have dreamed of.

4.  Our Laptop Computers
    We have two -- one for Husband at home,. one for me to take with on gigs. (It's also perfect for working up appraisals on the road...making the small printer I take with another of my best buys.) I could never have written books or articles, or had the opportunities or talked to the people I have without my access to the Internet. Thank God for it. (I should also,however, point out that on occasion,. when the router goes kaput, or the website goes down,. I'm tempted to make this my most maddening purchase, as well!)


5. Three quilts in the Brickworks collection
   These include a c.1900 Redwork Garden Maze piece, an 1839 dated (yes, signed and dated) chintz Mosaic top, and a c.1890 Crazy with lots of ribbons. These, along with others, have been an integral part of my lectures and classes.


6. The washer -- plus the dishwasher
   What would I do without these wonderful appliances? (Actually, I did without the dishwasher for more than a year, and missed it far more than I would have thought.)  The Kenmore washer came used -- the Kitchen Aid dishwasher  new. Both are wonderful.We have a dryer, as well, but I rarely use it. (Husband and daughters, on the other hand...)


7. The Featherweight sewing machine
   I paid for it with my services for an entire quilting conference -- and it was worth it. This little 1950s machine is small enough to be loaded into an overhead compartment, and yet sews and sews and SEWS. Every once in a while, Husband pulls out a wad of thread and cleans it,. and I oil it. Would that I could be this reliable when I'm as old.


8. Our trips overseas
   Both Husband and I traveled through Europe before we met. (Would love to do it again.) The Brazil trip changed our lives -- so did earlier stays in the Baja Mexico area (especially La Paz),. and December's jaunt in Panama . Daughter #1 is headed to New Zealand in November. Or...?

9. Our popup trailer - and camping gear over the years
   I just wish we could use these more right now...

and finally...

10. Our piano
   It's provided great pleasure and comfort for both of us,. as well as income on occasion. But money isn't why we play it -- the piano has become a way for both of us to communicate how we are, what we're feeling -- and share that with others. Our early 1900s upright only cost $150 -- but it's been worth a million to us.

Whew, I did it. Now what are your best purchases? Do tell!

No comments:

The Crockpot Is My Friend - Redux

 Another goodie from the Brickworks files: Stephanie over at "A Year of Slow Cooking" has made it her goal to use the crockpot e...