Sunday, May 5, 2013

Thinking Back About Living Below The Line

Sorry I've been quiet...it's been a long weekend.

Not only am I spending every spare waking moment on finishing up a quilt restoration, but I appraised all day at the Creative Needle in Littleton. (If you're looking for a quilt shop that covers about everything, including embroidery and sewing machines, you should stop by to talk to Marge and her staff. They're one of my favorite places to visit in Denver.)

Today was church -- and more restoration. My wrists are getting a little sore. But the top is nearly done.

Saturday morning finished up our commitment to Live Below the Line. What did I learn from living on $1.50 a day for food all week?

*I'm not that partial to beans. In fact, I lived for a couple of days on bread and butter, instead. (We lucked into some free bread at the local thrift shop, so technically I only spent for the butter those days.)

*I honestly think I could have done better -- and more varied -- meals by cutting out coffee (a BIG chunk of our budget), and going longer. Two weeks' worth of money lets you buy a little more.

*We are big protein eaters. That's not as hard, when Daughter #2 and her boyfriend got 3 animals this year, and are willing to share. (We got a lot of elk and venison for the freezer.) The chickie eggs help, too.

*Dairy helps keep the empty feeling away. A glass of milk in the afternoons made all the difference. Cheese helps, too -- and makes a tasty garnish for all sorts of dishes and breads. (Yes, including beans.)

We ended the week with at least a pound of rice, 1/2 pound of beans, and a few cups of milk left. Not bad, considering. But you can't live on just bread and butter forever.
    There were some tough moments -- like when Daughter #2 came for supper Tuesday night, and I broke out a bag of shrimp for her to have, along with the refried rice. I thought I was okay -- but I must have been staring at her chowing down the shrimp. "You sure you don't want some?" she said.
     Well...I did.

Our contribution is going to the Mennonite Central Committee -- MCC is one of the best, least-wasteful charities, and very involved in helping with world hunger.


No comments:

Frugal Hits & Misses: March Report

 This has been a tighter month than most -- due in great part to some unexpected truck expenses. Last month's property tax payment sucke...