Thursday, October 16, 2008

Faking It

Enough people, including my own dad, have struggled with cancer that I feel a bit like throwing up when hearing of someone who pretended the whole thing:

http://www.aolhealth.com/condition-center/breast-cancer/awareness-month/faking-breast-cancer

Suzy Bass was a popular teacher who, according to her, just somehow faked breast cancer -- at three different schools! (Once exposed, she'd just move on to the next one...) No matter that she went to great lengths to look like a cancer patient, not only shaving her head and forcing herself to throw up, but giving herself 'radiation burns' with a towel. Although she did not take money from the various fundraisers held in her honor, she did accept gifts -- everything from an Ipod to casseroles.

Now the people who were duped by her are angry and outraged. Suzy's response?

"I'm sorry I can't undo what I did, and I'm sorry that sorry is such an insignificant word," she says. "The remorse in my heart and soul is huge." Bass acknowledges that there were other lies she'd told friends and colleagues. She once pretended she had a fiancé who died on 9/11, that she'd played basketball at Florida State University and that she'd starred in the North American tour of Mamma Mia! "What I did was wrong, and I'm willing to stand up and admit that," Bass says, "but it doesn't change that my intent was never to hurt anyone. Never. I'm not that kind of person."

Hmmm..."never to hurt anyone." So it means that not 'meaning' to counts somehow, even if you do hurt someone? (Sounds like a case for Judge Judy -- she sees a bunch of defendants who argue that their actions don't count 'because it was an accident.')

How about betraying someone? Using their goodwill and energy? Permanently affecting their views on other cancer patients and causes?

Yep, she's sick, all right. In the very worst way.

No comments:

The Crockpot Is My Friend - Redux

 Another goodie from the Brickworks files: Stephanie over at "A Year of Slow Cooking" has made it her goal to use the crockpot e...