Saturday, March 16, 2024

Bigfoot Terrariums - the Redux

I had to send this classic post back to "Draft-Land," to keep hackers from piggybacking onto it. But I thought you might enjoy another look at a very silly subject. (Hee hee!)

P.S. we got more than two feet of snow in the latest storm...but it's melting fast. Typical of Colorado.

===============================

 I don't know about you, Gentle Readers. 


I write about saving money, shipwrecks (a new one's coming shortly), politics, food, quilts and oddball mysteries...

I figured you'd want more of that. So what are requests coming in for?


How to make Bigfoot terrariums. 

Zany.

This beauty on Etsy got my attention. What a striking piece.



Then the miniature version caught my eye.
 There are a surprising number of BF terrariums out there -- even kits.




Why not make one (or two) Bigfoot terrariums, for the girlies?

So I did.


Or terrarium...


Here's what I used:

*A large wide-mouth glass jar or decanter
      I used a pedestal jar shaped like a brandy snifter, and a covered  jar--
                 both for a buck or two each from the local thrift shop.

*Planting soil  
      One bag will be more than enough. I was feeling frugal, so went out and dug some well-fertilized dirt from the chickenyard.

*At least three or four small plants
       I used a jade plant, ivy and two others. Look for smaller-sized plants with colored details or interesting leaf shapes. Get a specimen that has more than one plant in it -- then make more than one terrarium.

*Assorted rocks and gravel -- preferably decorative, but use what you've got.

*A Bigfoot figurine. I used the two Sasquatch from this set. (Anybody need a giant Kraken, coelacanth or jackalope for their aquarium or terrarium? A friend fell in love with the fur-bearing trout, so that's gone. I'm keeping Nessie.)




Now comes the fun part.



Step One:  Clean and wipe dry your glass. (Yes, you can spend big bucks on a fancy terrarium -- but large jars, fishbowls and other decorative pieces are just fine, provided they have wide mouths. You'll see why soon.)

Step Two:  Start with a thin layer of stones, decorative pebbles or gravel.

Step Three:  Add planting soil --  at least a few inches thick. (I think mine was 3" in the glass jar, and 2" in the snifter.)

Step Four:  Separate your plants into seedlings. Arrange them around the inside of your glass, gently pushing the roots down into the dirt. I covered three sides, but kept the fourth side unplanted. Aren't you glad now that you gave yourself room to move these around inside the glass, thanks to the large mouth?

Step Five:  Add your Bigfoot. Put it on the fourth side, inside, of the glass, so it's peeking out.





Step Six:  Add something else to give your large buddy perspective. Decorative rocks? (That's what I used in the glass jar above.) Perhaps some artificial trees? (That's what the large Etsy bowl used.) A decorative piece of wood, a chunk of amethyst, whatever -- but it should be something that gives your terrarium a more realistic look and adds visual interest.


This one used a large piece of white quartz, to balance out the effect of the white BF.
(The jar is actually sitting on top of its own lid, by the way.)


That's it. Water lightly, and your Bigfoot terrarium is ready to amaze.




Keep it healthy by watering once a week, when the soil looks dry, and misting occasionally.

These both took me about a half-hour to construct -- but I was busy fooling around with plant combinations and rock arrangements. Yours could be done in just a few minutes.

I was surprised and pleased that the girlies liked them so much.

For more help, go here... or here. 

Have fun.





No comments:

The Crockpot Is My Friend - Redux

 Another goodie from the Brickworks files: Stephanie over at "A Year of Slow Cooking" has made it her goal to use the crockpot e...