Thursday, April 11, 2024

OJ Simpson


OJ Simpson just died.  He was 76.

In his time, he was a fine football player -- and that is about all I can say. 



I was working at Quilter's Newsletter Magazine during Simpson's 1995 murder trial. If you were around in those days, you had to be living under a rock not to know that Simpson was accused of killing his ex-wife, Nicole Simpson, and her friend, Ron Goldman. And there was a LOT of evidence pointing to that conclusion.

 (What I didn't know: Kris Jenner was best friends with Nicole -- and her ex-husband, Robert Kardashian, was on OJ's defense team. Weird. What I also didn't know: Simpson went off his arthritis medicine a few weeks before the trial -- so when he 'struggled' to put on the indicting gloves, his hands were actually more swollen than normal. Yep, I'm sure that was just a 'coincidence.')

When his acquittal was announced, total silence in the lunchroom... and practically everyone on staff was there to watch. I remember this vividly.

Do I think he was guilty?

Oh yeah.

Obviously, I'm not the only one who believes this. Simpson's Wikipedia entry is telling: "American football player and felon." (He went to jail for other crimes, so they can get away with saying this.)

Do I think he's pleading his innocence, now that he's standing before the Great Judge?

What do you think?

                                                              * * * * * * * *                                                             

"Let's say I committed this crime. Even if I did do this, it would have to have been because I loved her very much, right?"

    OJ Simpson, from a 1998 interview with Esquire...and

'Everything OJ ever said about the murders'  (Yahoo)

No comments:

Frugal Hits & Misses: April Report

 Tired. Just tired. But a week's visit to see family in Washington helped. Now on to finishing up things, so I can start new things. One...