Tuesday, September 3, 2024

The Railroad's A-Comin'!

Just on a whim, I checked Ebay today. And there it was... 

                             a railroad jacquard-woven coverlet.



You very rarely see these pieces -- let alone have the chance to bid on them. I didn't exactly grab it -- I had to negotiate some. (And yes, Gentle Readers, I used 'Best Offer.') 
But it's paid for, and headed to Fort Garland! 

Here's the scoop from the American History Museum's site. (They have one, too.)


An unidentified weaver wove this blue and white, Figured and Fancy, double cloth coverlet. The centerfield design features oak leaf and flower, sprig and floral, foliate swag, and leaf carpet medallions. All four of the borders depict the No. 240 engine and coal car being operated by the engineer. The cornerblocks depict four profile portraits of M. T. McKennon, the first president of the railroad. He is surrounded by the woven inscription, “Hemfield Railroad.” The Hempfield Railroad was began in 1851 and designed to connect Wheeling, Virginia (current West Virginia) to Washington, Pennsylvania. Construction was not complete until 1857 and the railroad operated until 1871 when it was sold to the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad. It is not clear if these coverlets were used on the passenger cars or sold to subscribers. The railroad was initially funded through subscription, and it is possible that these coverlets were made to help facilitate that process or just to commemorate the arrival of the railroad. The coverlet was likely made c. 1851 either in Wheeling or Western Pennsylvania. The railroad operated three locomotive engines, six freight and passenger cars, and eleven coal cars.

Here's theirs, also in indigo and white -- looks like mine is in better shape.
This was woven in wool & cotton...and in red/white/blue, as well.

Update: There's a reason theirs looks more worn -- it's older.  I went back to reread the listing, and the words "licensed reproduction" leaped out at me. This coverlet, according to the seller, is also bigger than the c.1850 version, though she calls it a wool blend. (I just discovered that this style was reproduced -- I didn't know that at all. But the link I found said it was cotton. ) At any rate, it's still a good buy -- just not a 'fall down and wave my legs in the air ecstatically' bargain. Oopsies. 




I have been looking for both a railroad coverlet, as well as a steamboat coverlet, for DECADES.  I found the steamboat one a few years ago, also just by accident, on Ebay. (Yes, it's authentic, from the period.)

It and the railroad coverlet will keep each other company during my lectures. I think I'm going to add a new one: "What's Real...And What's Repro?" with old/newer examples, and a lot of textile history thrown in between. Whoo hoo!



Here's the steamboat piece -- 1845, vs the railroad piece's 1850/51 date



No comments:

Made With Love... Or Not

I've wondered if that's how Cincinnati Chili got invented... or Garbage Plates . At least they taste good!