Saturday, July 18, 2026

Great Art?

 

New York City's Hotel Chelsea, a swanky 'beatnik' spot, is trying to evict one of its longtime residents, artist Gerald Decock. He argues that he should have gotten a rent-controlled rate...and anyways, the hotel bought a bunch of his paintings. How could they evict someone whose paintings hang on their walls?

    (I -- and you -- already know the answer to the second question.)

What caught my eye about this unusual subject wasn't Decock -- it was the studio he lived in. Every wall is jammed with color and movement. Turns out that other well-known people lived there before he did... though I suspect Decock has added to it.



A bit reminiscent of Gloria Vanderbilt's infamous 'quilt room,' isn't it?



I honestly don't know who's right or wrong on this. Decock has lost several court actions about it, but Might doesn't always equal Right.

But I love the effect... even if it doesn't contribute to peaceful sleep at night.



P.S. For those Gentle Readers who have been wondering -- our dear friend is out of the hospital, and staying in a transitional therapy facility while she recovers. 
Your prayers would be wonderful for her, as well as her husband.








No comments:

Monday Stuff on the Way to Other Stuff: Hot Hot Hot

      Did I say it's been hot?       Add humidity and just a bit of rain to the mix, and you've got general weirdness. We're sti...