Friday, July 31, 2026

Ummm...And Buck Moon

 "My significant other had ridden the train up to visit me in college the first year we dated. My college town, St Augustine, FL, has a reputation for being haunted. We decided to walk to a pub I liked, so we cut through an alley boarded by a private parking lot, and a bank. It was approaching dinner time, but it was Florida, so it was still very bright outside. When we turned into the alley, there was a woman approaching us from the opposite end of the alley wearing 16th century Spanish colonial garb.


This, in itself, wasn’t unusual. It was Halloween, and St. Augustine is home to a lot of reenactors, and tourist attractions that have tour guides that dress in period-appropriate clothing. What was weird is that she was pressed against the side wall of the bank as close to it as she could without physically touching it. She was wearing a wide brimmed hat, and had her head angled down to hide her face from us. She seemed terrified of us. My first thought was, *calm down, lady. It’s Halloween.*

As we walked abreast of her, I ducked down to look under her hat, and make eye contact, and smile. You know, to reassure her we weren’t gonna jump her or anything.

Instead of features, her face was blurry, like a severely out of focus picture.

I stood back up, and kept walking. It took a couple of minutes for my brain to catch up with what I saw. When I turned around to look at her again, she was gone.

I tried to make sense of this in my head. She must have reached the end of the alley, and ducked around the bank, out of sight. The fading light played a trick on my eyes. Etc, etc, etc.

Hesitantly, I asked my SO (who I had just started dating! I didn’t want them to think I was weird!), “Hey. That woman we just passed… Did she have a face?”

They replied. “I don’t know, but she didn’t have any feet.”.

I'm always up for a good ghost story -- and this ranks with the best of them.

More weird stories here. 


P.S. We are now officially in 'Buck Moon' stage -- go here for more.

"The Buck Moon, July's full moon, received its name from the time of year when deer are growing their antlers before the fall rut. It is also referred to as the Thunder Moon, since thunderstorms are common during the summer.

Additional names for this moon are the Feather Moulting Moon and Salmon Moon, a Tlingit term referring to the time when fish returned to the area to be harvested, per the Old Farmer's Almanac. It can also be called the Halfway Summer Moon, referring to the time of year it rises."






No comments:

Ummm...And Buck Moon

 " My significant other had ridden the train up to visit me in college the first year we dated. My college town, St Augustine, FL, has ...