Saturday, August 15, 2026

Utagawa Hiroshige

 Utagawa Hiroshige -- 1797-1858. This 19th century Japanese artist is considered one of the premiere woodblock printers -- ever. If you're a fan of Japanese art (as I am), you'll recognize his name. 

A collection of Hiroshige's prints sold at Christie's auction some years ago. Why am I telling you this? Because the prints, estimated value $15,000-25,000 each, mostly sold for a stunning $118,000, instead. Or more.

Now THAT'S a markup. 

Why am I also telling you this? Because a 600-piece collection of Hiroshige woodblock prints is set to auction at Christie's soon. It will be interesting to see if the prints hold their value, appraisal-wise. The first installment auction starts September 15.

Take a look for yourself at the 2020-21 auction, including realized prices.  Meanwhile, here are more of his prints for you to admire. Lovely. 


'Nihonbashi Bridge'


'Ryogoku Fireworks'
(a print of this is part of the Sept. 15 auction)

'Shona'


'53 Stations of the Tokaido' -- selected examples







No comments:

Utagawa Hiroshige

 Utagawa Hiroshige -- 1797-1858.  This 19th century Japanese artist is considered one of the premiere woodblock printers -- ever. If you...