Friday, July 19, 2019

Living in A Fifth Wheel: One Month In

   Very soon, we will be marking our one-month anniversary of living in the fifth wheel. (A 32-ft Arctic Fox from Northwoods, complete with two electrical slides and a ton of windows. Photos and floorplan soon.) We live next door to -- or more accurately, across the fence from -- our old house, which has been sold. God willing, closing date is Aug. 29.

Goodbye, old friend.

When that happens, we'll pay off the bills, move some money around, start an emergency fund again (Yay!), and be on our way.
    We'll still be living most of the time in Colorado...but elsewhere.

     We've been enjoying this new 'house'!





It's really easy to clean. And keep clean, if we Put Things Away. The Brick and I needed this lesson
Lots of storage. And, of all things, a laundry chute to the 'basement.' This has been a Godsend.
The freezer and refrigerator are just large enough -- but not so big that I 'lose' food in them. Especially the freezer. No more stockpiling, which means I miss out on some good buys -- but enough that I can buy a few extra.
Comfortable places to watch tv or work. The dining room table has just enough room for both our laptops, and the couch has enough room for us to stretch out a bit. (It needs a few pillows, which I will add this weekend after we start emptying the garage.)
More than enough space to get by each other in the main section. Squeeze by the dogs, too.
No mousey issues! And plans to keep it that way. The Brick is loving this.

There are a few issues that could use some help: not much space for a lot of baking dishes. We keep the pots and pans in the oven, which I'm not thrilled about -- but so far, it's working. No washing machine. (I have a manual one, but need to figure it out. An electric machine is in the future.)
     We need to come up with an easier way to leave some things out while we're traveling, without them smashing or banging. (Like the printer.) We also need to get smaller versions of items we use regularly, so they'll take up less room.

Our current view -- but not for long


I am understanding, more and more, Thrifty Mom in Boise's take on living in a trailer. She and her daughters did it for a year, and had plans to continue for 18 more months, before the tenant renting their house vacated. (It's a long story.) She said...

"Funny thing, sort of.  I discovered last month that some people have a pretty strange perception about how things are.  Just from the comments that have been made to me recently, all well intended, I'm sure.   Hopefully.  This is what I've concluded in response: 
  • I live in my RV because that is what I want to do.
  • I am not poor.
  • If I wanted to buy another house, I would.
  • If I wanted to live in an apartment I would.
  • No one needs to find me another place to live.
  • I have heat.
  • Sometimes shit happens.  It happens to everyone. [she had a refrigerator stop running and an inverter overheat]

Hopefully that clears everything up."



So:

*No, we are not doing this because we are one step from being out on the streets. 
*Yes, we want to do this.
*Yes, it's different from what most people do.
*Yes, we have heat -- or even more importantly right now, air conditioning.
*No, we will not be giving up and buying a house soon. 
*Yes, this is something we've always wanted to try. 

And it's working out well.

3 comments:

Chuck Harnish said...

We have escaped the Arizona heat and are currently "chilling" in our condo on wheels in Chula Vista, CA (just south of San Diego) We love that we get to have a "house" anywhere we want; you will too. Nice thing is that if you don't like a place or feel comfortable there is someplace new right around the corner.

Cheapchick said...

It's a lifestyle choice - yours and yours alone. Some people don't get it as can't imagine doing it. To each his own. Obviously the two of you are on the same page or it wouldn't have happened.

Cindy Brick said...

Thanks for writing, both of you...I don't normally mind some of the "are you sure you're ok??" questions -- but it does get a little weird. The Mama keeps announcing that we won't be doing this much longer, in a smug tone. Which just makes me want to keep living here, just to prove her wrong. (The little kid may grow up on the outside -- but never quiiiite goes away.)

Even with the weeks of heat, we are still doing well in the fifth wheel. Looking forward to traveling with it, though, just like you guys are, Chuck. Hopefully you'll take a side trip into that messy, vivid, fascinating Tijuana!

Good to hear from both of you.

The Crockpot Is My Friend - Redux

 Another goodie from the Brickworks files: Stephanie over at "A Year of Slow Cooking" has made it her goal to use the crockpot e...