The Everyday Minimalist makes an interesting case for French women -- that they're more put together than their American counterparts because they:
*Don't try as hard to 'be liked, or like everybody else'
*Don't worry about extra poundage
*Accept themselves for what (and who) they are
*Give their personal lives latitude -- open space to their partner as well as themselves
*Wear the same clothing over and over, with small changes
(Here's the L.A. Times article that started EM's musings in the first place.)
I have a tough time believing that 'honesty =being rude to everyone' is a positive thing. (EM just says that quality is refreshing.) I'd love to say this, as well as the other statements, is blowhard stuff...but a good friend's experience gives me pause. She was more than endowed with her share of curves, and unfortunately understood enough French to overhear several discussions about her weight. (And they weren't nice about it, either.)
And how far do you take these precepts? Let your partner sleep around...or do it yourself, because then you are allowing freedom? Accept those little faults about yourself, like cruelty or alcoholism, that make you anything but a better person? Be obnoxious, because then you can say exactly what you want, without considering other people's feelings?
I think I'd rather stick to being an American -- although I did find myself living comfortably on 3-4 changes of clothing this past month, and doing just fine. (The secret is choosing higher quality stuff that's classic in design, then accenting with unusual jewelry or footwear.) Ironically, I am part French...French Canadian!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Makes Sense...
Unless the King appointed you personally as the Judge of All. Why not let Him take care of it, instead?
-
[Update on the Update! Kate Spain's posted a final comment. I'm not sure she still completely understands the struggle quilting prof...
-
It's raining here. A lot. This would not be a surprise in other parts of the world, particularly Michigan, where I grew up. On our tri...
-
Another squeaky-tight month for us...but with God's grace and a lot of holding back, except largely essentials, we're ok. Early in t...
1 comment:
You are way more English than French Canadian then :)
I find the honesty refreshing but sometimes they can't help themselves, the French. They think they're being honest instead of lying to your face but there IS a level of decorum!
Thank you for linking to me :D
Post a Comment