This vivid shade of scarlet has been a favorite, ever since a reasonable way to keep it colorfast was formulated -- by the Turks. Who had an interesting habit of killing anyone who knew the secret to their dye...and wanted to leave. Talk about proprietary information!
The National Museums of Scotland website has an incredible online exhibit of Turkey Red prints -- plus lots of juicy history about the dye's origins. (Mostly from the Scottish viewpoint, of course.)
Sprint over to this site -- if you're interested in old fabrics at all, you'll love the variety here.
Have fun. Don't drool.
What's Turkey Red? Here's some, from an 1888 Grover Cleveland campaign bandanna
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Monday Stuff on the Way to Other Stuff: Getting Up
...and getting the Brick out the door, lunch in hand. This early schedule wears on late-night people like me. I can do it -- but really, t...
-
[Update on the Update! Kate Spain's posted a final comment. I'm not sure she still completely understands the struggle quilting prof...
-
It's raining here. A lot. This would not be a surprise in other parts of the world, particularly Michigan, where I grew up. On our tri...
-
Another squeaky-tight month for us...but with God's grace and a lot of holding back, except largely essentials, we're ok. Early in t...
2 comments:
I too love these fabrics and agree with those that say there should be a book that we could purchase from that collection. I love the themes shown at that site and have quite a collection of newer fabrics myself. I love how you can coordinate a redwork project based on the themes.
Publishers out there -- are you listening??
Post a Comment