Sunday, January 28, 2018

Brickworks Blog and Facebook 'Rules'

...at least, these are mine. 

I don't use names for our daughters and son. Ditto for the Brick. You may have noticed my use of the terms Daughters #1 and #2, and Son #1. (One amused the heck out of me at Christmastime by mentioning a blogpost and saying, 'I knew it was me you were talking about -- after all, I'm Daughter #2 and he's Son #1, isn't he...' She was right!)
    
Same goes for other family members, like Cuz (cousin), Brother, etc. I have used first names for a few relatives (occasionally, and nearly always in response to their post on FB), and full names in obituaries. (See next item.) I will occasionally use first names for close friends, too.

Any family or personal friend photos you see -- either I or the Brick have taken them (and it's ok with the people in the photos), or they've already been previously used in a public venue (like Facebook or a print or tv/cable publication). Or we've gotten permission from the family member(s) in question.
       The exception: Charley the dog. He hasn't given permission, but I really don't think he cares much...not even the butt photo. (The chickens didn't, either.)

Places and things -- ditto.  Like the Castle Rock landscape photo in this post...which I took in the fall of 2017.

I may use photos from another blog -- but only sparely (usually just one), and as a descriptor to that blog, with link(s) included. This is standard procedure on the internet; you'll see it most in the weekly 'Monday Stuff on the Way to Other Stuff' columns. I will include photos and such from Wikipedia, Morguefile, Pinterest, IMDB or other 'public-use-is-okay' venues, but with proper attribution. (Some of my old posts don't attribute the 'use-is-okay' sites -- but I'm doing better at it.)
      Plus links, if at all possible.

Is the subject especially sad, or sensitive in nature? Don't expect gory details or shocking photos. I don't show blood, vomit or give evil people extra glory. (I may be rude or vulgar, like the El Caganer post, but will warn you first.) I may include links, so you can learn more about a situation or event -- which may show those things. I don't.
     The one exception, which may freak out some of my Faithful Readers: Victorian-era (and earlier) postmortem photos. These are strange, all right (and I'll issue a Creepy Alert) -- but they're important. They not only show clothes and designs of the period, but often include other interesting cultural details, as well. Political items and quilts, for example.
      I will NOT show modern postmortems, no matter how relevant they are...the guy taking a selfie next to his dead grandma is a chilling example. Ewww.

Unless it's a teaching or appraising gig, I will not tell you if we're out of town -- unless one or more of us is staying, or we've already come home. (Ditto for relatives.) I have too many visions of bad guys plundering the house while we're in Cancun...

If you have a page on Facebook, whatever you put on it is public knowledge. Period. 
      Too many people forget this. 

     If you think you're cute or clever by posting political or people insults, drunken photos or sexy selfies, not only will those photos and harsh words appear on your page -- they'll also appear on the pages of anyone you're Facebook 'friends' with.
     Including my page. Yuck.

Insult me in print -- I will not respond in kind.  I will just let you look foolish by leaving your harsh words out there to embarrass you. Someday, if not soon, you will regret them.

Insult someone or something else -- I'll most probably defend them.  Even if I don't agree with them-- or you. Trump-lovers and haters, take note. 

I am not perfect. I mess up and make mistakes. If I do, though, I try hard to fix them. Only God is perfect...not me. (Or you.)

I may occasionally 'break' these rules, for certain reasons...but some are set in stone.  Like family photos without permission, or bad/good news from another family, before the matriarch says it on Facebook -- nope.

Comments are always welcome! I love to hear what's important to you, even if we disagree. And I will treat you with the same tact and willingness to listen, that I hope you'll use for me.







No comments:

The Crockpot Is My Friend - Redux

 Another goodie from the Brickworks files: Stephanie over at "A Year of Slow Cooking" has made it her goal to use the crockpot e...