Friday, July 10, 2009

Backyard Doings

This Old House's competition for backyard renovations is done, and the results are in. Take a look at these wonderful changes.

This year, instead of trying to plant a Great Big Huge garden down in our lower backyard, I decided to concentrate on the 'house bed,' a rounded area that used to be shaded by a large (former) tree. That and the herb garden would get my attention.

I cleared around the perennials, then slowly started adding more. Beans have been planted in the cleared areas, and instead of petunias, tomatoes and zucchini populate the large pots on the deck. I put my flower funds into a large climbing 'Gypsy' style rose ($29.95) in a waist-high copper pot...a $15 steal from King Soopers. KS has some large green pots with frogs spouting...they'll be perfect for a small fountain when the pot's on deep clearance!

No comments:

The Crockpot Is My Friend - Redux

 Another goodie from the Brickworks files: Stephanie over at "A Year of Slow Cooking" has made it her goal to use the crockpot e...