Thursday, April 7, 2022

Another Great One Is Gone: Elsie Campbell

     Elsie Campbell, a fellow writer, teacher and colleague, died Jan. 25 of this year. 

(Apologies, Gentle Readers -- this was soon after The Mama's death. Fuzzy thinking and Covid kept me from doing much of anything around that time, let alone blogposts. Otherwise, I would have mentioned Elsie's death sooner.)


From her Facebook page:

This is Ken Campbell.
Elsie, my beloved wife for over 50 years, passed away suddenly Tuesday, January 25 at 4:15 pm.
She was home recovering from successful back surgery last Friday in Wichita and was up and walking around the house with the aid of a walker without much pain. She was feeling much better and was optimistic about her future recovery from her series of illnesses this past year.
She was lying in bed resting after a light lunch. When I checked on her later she was having difficulty breathing and I called 911 about 3 o'clock. They arrived quickly but found only a weak pulse. She was transported to the Ponca City hospital where efforts were made to help her. Cause was probably a heart attack caused by an embolism according to the ER physician.
Those wishing to may send a memorial gift to the Mennonite Central Committee. Please send no flowers. These were her express wishes.


Here is how Elsie described herself:

I travel and teach across the nation, teaching hand quilting, precision piecing, and hand and machine applique techniques and quilt design. I grew up with quilts on every bed. My mother, grandmothers, and aunts all made quilts. They were made to be used and most were 'loved to death'. I just thought everyone knew how to quilt.

After graduating from college with a Bachelor's Degree in Home Economics, I taught in public schools until the birth of my first son. A variety of career experiences followed, including that of insurance agent, piano teacher, and custom framer. I then returned to school to earn my Master's Degree in Special Education. It was during my 13-year career as a special education teacher that I rekindled my love of quilting. Since that time. I have produced many award-winning hand-quilted quilts in addition to constructing many more as gifts for family and friends.

I am an active member of many different quilt-related organizations and have won numerous awards. Awards include: Best Hand Wormanship Purchase Award, American Quilter's Society 2003, Best of Show at Quilt America! in Indianapolis, Indiana, the Mary Krickbaum Award for Best Hand Quilting from the National Quilt Association; and First Place ribbons in such prestigious shows as the World Quilt and Textile Show, Quilter's Heritage Celebration in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, the International Quilt Festival in Houston, Texas, and Indiana Heritage Celebration, Bloomington, Indiana.



Her husband Ken has also done a wonderful article on Elsie that you can access here. 

     I would run into Elsie now and then as we both worked 'the circuit,' teaching and lecturing on quilting. (Like myself, she also wrote books -- one is pictured above.) Her quilts were admired by a lot of people (me included) and won many prizes. But in spite of the adulation, Elsie remained her kind self. She dealt with several health issues and surgeries the last year, but seemed to be recovering. 

     She was my friend.

She will be dearly missed.

An excellent way to honor Elsie is to contribute to the Mennonite Central Committee in her name. MCC is one of the very few charities to send nearly 100% of your donation to the field, to fund water, farming and income projects for a wide variety of needy communities around the world. The Brick and I also contribute to this worthy cause. 


No comments:

Monday Stuff On the Way to Other Stuff: Yeah, It's Spring (Sort Of)

     Another storm this past weekend -- rain, then snow mixing with rain, then snow. The trees and sage were suitably frosted when we got ho...