Monday, November 21, 2011

Monday Stuff on the Way to Other Stuff

Whoo hoo -- after three tries, I have passed the USPAP appraisers exam! It was needed for me to feel confident writing donation appraisals for the IRS -- but even better, it's a big part of my taking -- and certifying -- to become a general personal property appraiser. I've been 'doing' textiles and related items ever since 1999. This new certification means I can actively head toward appraising everything that isn't nailed down: furniture, glassware, paper and such.
   ( Ok -- not Newt Gingrich. Or any of the Occupy Denver protestors, who are showing every sign of staying put through the winter.)
    This whole process has been a revelation -- I hadn't failed an exam since nearly flunking out of high school geometry class back in the mid-1970s. It wasn't that I didn't know what I was doing -- it was much more that I didn't know the vocabulary USPAP used for the same actions. Instead of mentally arguing with that glossary every time I tried to use it, finally sat down and just memorized phrase after phrase after PHRASE. That, and being able to study what I'd already tested on, helped immensely.
    Thank God. I mean that - literally.

MORE STUFF, ETC.

*Funky Junk Interiors gives us one last look at fall colors and textures. (Not that they're happening around here. Our trees are stripped bare, due to the windstorms lately.)


*This girl and her family gave up eating out for a month -- and gained some unexpected benefits. (Eating just from your pantry and freezer, or resolving not to spend any money past the critical stuff, can change your life, too. Going without cable's been an eye-opener for us.)

*You can make $200,000 a year with no education or experience...just be a miner in Australia. (Don't miss the next post, either, on the financial pro who lost his own house! We're supposed to hire him because he now Has Learned From His Experience. Kind of like rehiring a babysitter who 'just happened' to misplace your kids for a few hours.)

*A British grandma wishes her nocturnal groper would leave her alone. Only problem: he's a ghost.


* It's pies this week on the Christmas Goodies blog! (Yum)

And The Nester is advocating a "fuss-less" Thanksgiving table.

Hope your Thanksgiving week is shaping up nicely. (And congratulations to online friend Marcie, who just gained a new baby granddaughter!)




No comments:

The Crockpot Is My Friend - Redux

 Another goodie from the Brickworks files: Stephanie over at "A Year of Slow Cooking" has made it her goal to use the crockpot e...