Friday, September 17, 2021

Three Months Til Christmas!

 Had to remind you, didn't I...



But the earlier you think about this -- and prepare -- the more you can actually enjoy the holidays.

Now that fall is beginning to creep in, it won't be long for our first snow -- and thoughts of what's next. This year, for the first time since we sold our house back in 2019, we should be able to host the Seven Fish Dishes again. This has been a special part of Brick Christmas Eve celebrations for decades -- but Covid shot it down the past two years. Now, with things loosening slightly, it's a real possibility. 

I'm so glad.

     Presents aren't a problem. Storing them until Christmas IS! We have more room than some trailer dwellers, but it's difficult to find the space. Right now, I've got them piled in a box in the corner, and bulging out of a bin in my side of the closet...but that's not going to work much longer. I think I may find an unused corner in our landlord's garage, and ask permission to store them there. Fortunately, presents for the family in Michigan are largely wrapped and stored upstairs in The Mama's house. 

     Presents? NOW?!?

Yep.



     Stocking stuffers:  A box of 60 chocolate bars, all kinds of flavors -- 25 cents each found at Daily Deals. (Bundles of these will also go to casual friends and our favorite kids -- at a quarter each, we can afford to be generous. If I have time, I'll dress them up like this.) These join with some items from the school supply sales Walmart and company hold in late August and September. All year round, I look for small items, 50 cents or less, that Daughters, Son #1 and Daughter #1's partner might like. 

     Presents:  This is tougher this time of year -- because both Daughters and The Mama have birthdays in August. Therefore, the presents I find usually go to commemorate those days. This year, however, their birthday presents are still in the corner -- thanks to my unplanned visit to Michigan, we still haven't met to celebrate. Hope to do that in the next week or so.

    BUT -- I have been looking. Sales are perfect; so are clearance shelves. I always look at thrift stores, particularly on Tuesdays. (20% off for seniors here) The library's used book room is also a favorite spot for searching. Generally, though, I'm fussy: the item(s) MUST be not only in good shape, but it's even better if they look unused. So far, I've found books, movies, appliances, a few kits -- and a few dresses. (Daughters are particular about how they look, though, so I may spring this on them early.) 

     Amazon's Warehouse sales are also an excellent place to find Good Stuff. Check it once a week, at least, in your favorite category -- I've found some incredible buys, doing it this way.

     After the insane amount of money we've had to spend on truck repairs this summer, making our dollars stretch is crucial. That includes what we spend on presents, as well as everything else. 

      I really AM a Hollander in these matters.

    Food:   I've stocked up on sugar, flour and ingredients for cookies, pie and cakes. Nuts are especially pricey this year -- find a good sale (like Amazon), and stash them in the freezer! 

     Seafood generally has to wait until closer to December...but I will invest in a few canned items, like clam chowder and crabmeat. 

    Decorations:  We're golden here -- there's not a lot of room for lavishness in a fifth-wheel. But I do have a ceramic Christmas tree snagged from McNeal's Missions Barrel. It will be perfect for celebrating our third Christmas in the trailer. 

Upward and onward.  



             It'll happen...and sooner than you think.

No comments:

Making Their Point