Saturday, May 23, 2009

Happy Graduation, Alex!

...which I went to. It was held outside in the stadium. With storm clouds gathering, the Powers That Be really shortened the ceremony -- and practically speed read through all the names, as the kids got their diplomas. Fastest graduation doings I've ever been to...and ironically, not a drop of rain fell.

After which we went to Casa Bonita, a very strange cavern-y place with a waterfall right in the middle of the restaurant. And cliff divers. And gorillas. And sheriffs chasing Black Bart. 'Okay' sort-of Mexican food. (Alex characterized it as "Tex-Mex with a whole lot of American thrown in." Yeah, I guess -- I do like their chicken enchiladas, done suisa style, with mild cheese and sour cream.) Lots of fun.

Get Rich Slowly has an especially good post today, on what makes you feel luxurious, even when you're being frugal:

http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2009/05/22/ask-the-readers-what-makes-you-feel-rich-while-being-frugal/

For me, it's finding a designer label or unusual high-quality item at the thrift shop! Like the Peruvian label sweater I got last year and wore all winter -- for $4. And the designer sundress found just a week ago -- $3.

Our local thrift shop occasionally has trays of baked goods out for the taking, as well. This week, I scavenged croissants, bagels and a loaf of Pepperidge Farm whole wheat bread. That's being elegant AND thrifty!

Also --
being able to divide perennials, and get more...or share with a friend

the luxury of fresh green beans or tomatoes -- from my own garden

picking strawberries, that I know my family will enjoy (will do that next month, when we go back to Michigan for our nephew's wedding)

getting a plane ticket -- at much less than we should have! Ditto for a hotel...or a meal at a really good restaurant. (Like Denver's 5280 specials, which come in December or January -- and let you stay at a luxury hotel for $52.80 a night...or go to a terrific restaurant, and get two full meals for $52.80. Well, someone's got to do it!)

And finally:
The freedom to work for myself. Sometimes we're doing great, income-wise, sometimes it's tight. But it is wonderful to be able to set my own schedule, even when I work long hours.

Now pass on your ideas...share nice!

No comments:

The Crockpot Is My Friend - Redux

 Another goodie from the Brickworks files: Stephanie over at "A Year of Slow Cooking" has made it her goal to use the crockpot e...