Sunday, June 14, 2009

3 a.m. Musings

I can't sleep. Just ran some errands in the dead of night...it's the best, when everything is cool and quiet, and only a few oddballs (like yours truly too, I guess) are roaming around. You sure can get things done quickly!

At one point in life, I cashiered at Wal-Mart. I never worked later than 11 p.m., but had a friend on the overnight shift. Other than the fight to stay awake and alert, she loved it...no pushing, shoving and hurrying. Her favorite customer was the very large drag queen who enjoyed visiting in full dress -- actually, "she" almost pulled it off, said my friend...if she'd only shaved the chest hair that peeked through that plunging neckline.

The miller moths are invading right now, and every evening the lamp is redolent with the crunchy smell of fried wings. The boys are snoozing peacefully -- one day this week, Goonie could not get up (and stay up, without our help), but tonight, his arthritis and hip troubles have eased.

I watched cowboy movies nearly all day: Clint Eastwood, John Wayne, Richard Widmark. Maybe that did it -- all the dusty landscapes and clicking spurs.

Husband is fighting some kind of flu -- maybe that's my problem: I've got it, too! (Naah, feel okay.) Maybe it's thinking about the trip to Michigan this next week, with Daughter #2 (and eventually Husband) in tow. How will Mom react? (She's still struggling quite a bit with Dad's absence.) Can I keep my mouth shut and behave myself? Can I remember to bring everything I need to?

Maybe some warm milk, and a few of the Saturday funnies I couldn't get to this morning. Maybe that will do it. Worship Team practice starts at 7:45 a.m...I need to get some sleep to function.

Will try. Goodnight...or should I say good morning??

2 comments:

ladybug43 said...

Boy, can I relate to your wish to "keep my mouth shut." After a lifetime of being strong, efficient and self-sufficient, our mother at 87 has turned into someone suddenly wants us to take care of HER. It's a hard transition for this oldest daughter. I'm quite willing to assist her, but not willing to do things she can do for herself. Have to pray and get my mind into a better place.

Enjoying your blog, with its personal viewpoint. Thank you

Cindy Brick said...

You're welcome -- any advice regarding moms? I'm an oldest child, too. My brother, though, lives closer to Mom and often gets the shorter end of the stick.

The Crockpot Is My Friend - Redux

 Another goodie from the Brickworks files: Stephanie over at "A Year of Slow Cooking" has made it her goal to use the crockpot e...