Thursday, October 6, 2022

Taco Soup For A Chilly Night

     Well, I was right. I've been dealing with some kind of delayed-reaction flu that makes the bones ache, the ears hurt -- and sucks out any kind of energy quickly. Last night, I found myself snoozing under a warm quilt (I was supposed to be restoring it), perfectly happy watching Bugs Bunny cartoons.

      Weird. 



       Mr. Fever has joined the party -- a good sign that the body is finally trying to fight this. I still have work to do, but fortunately it's the quiet kind. The Brick continues to prepare for hunting. He leaves next Thursday; I'll stay home (no vehicle, after all) and hold the fort, guarded by our ferocious watchdog Ruby.


Grrrrrrr....

Supper tonight was tortilla chips and this wonderful Taco Soup. It's a little sister to Mavis Butterfield's 8-can soup, but even better, I think. All you have to do is open cans (and one packet)... and give the soup time to heat. Serve with chips, cheese and sour cream -- or none of the above. It's still good.

Yes, you can literally have a hot meal on the table in 15 minutes, if you keep a few of these cans in your pantry. 


TACO SOUP

1 can each: (size seems irrelevant -- more or less of each just changes the flavor a little)

*chicken   (or 1-2 cups leftover ground beef, cut-up chicken, pork bits, bacon, etc.)

*diced tomatoes  (plain, green chilies added, whatever)

*kernel corn

*cream soup   (I used cream of potato - Mavis uses cream of chicken)

*chili beans  (or chili, or plain beans)

*1 tablespoon dry taco seasoning mix  (or one envelope)

That's it. Dump everything in, rinse the cans out with a little water (or milk, in the case of the soup), then stir together. Heat til bubbling. Serves 4. 


Mavis' soup looks like this (with rice added):


Mine was more like this. (We gobbled it up so hungrily that I didn't get photos tonight.)



(This is 'Chad's slo-cooker taco soup' from AllRecipes. All sorts of additional variations are here.)

Enjoy.





2 comments:

Karen said...

When I was in confirmation everyone would bring a can of soup, didn't matter what flavor, we dumped ALL the cans in a big pot to heat then served. The first evening we thought "WHAT?!?!?" It was delicious and looked forward to future soup suppers. We also brought a sandwich cut in half. We could eat 1 half and share the other half or put both halves on the platter and share. Thank you for reminding me of a wonderful childhood memory.

Cindy Brick said...

I never heard of doing this! But based on my taco soup experience (which I initially thought was nuts, until I tasted it at an aunt's house)... I could believe it.

The sandwiches, too. How clever!

Thanks for mentioning it, Karen -- and writing. Glad to be of help.

The Crockpot Is My Friend - Redux

 Another goodie from the Brickworks files: Stephanie over at "A Year of Slow Cooking" has made it her goal to use the crockpot e...