Sunday, October 17, 2021

Another Great One is Gone

     Laura Fisher, a longtime quilt dealer in New York, died earlier this month. She was 76.  


Laura in her heyday -- photo by John Sauls


     I first met Laura on a trip to New York City, not long after I really started to concentrate on teaching and writing about quilts. I'd heard about her shop, Laura Fisher Quilts, and wanted to learn more. What I found, instead of 'tasteful decor,' was a dark warehouse-looking spot, stuffed practically to the ceiling with dozen after dozen of various textiles. And they were amazing! Laura herself was kind, friendly and had no problem sharing her knowledge with an appraiser who was just beginning to branch out. 

     She contributed some wisdom to my book CRAZY QUILTS; we talked about photos, and she loaned me some. I also learned a great deal from her books QUILTS OF ILLUSION, but especially HOME SWEET HOME -- a favorite, and one of the few books I kept when I was forced to strip my own library

A terrific book -- worthy of your permanent collection. 

The other one is good, too.


     I was lucky enough to spend a day with her during a PAAQT conference in Williamsburg. Laura was the featured speaker, and the person who was supposed to show her around afterwards flaked out. As president then, I got elected -- and I never regretted it. We talked our heads off while touring several exhibits, then spent an evening at one of Williamsburg's taverns, talking some more. 


     Laura could have been aloof and condescending -- she'd earned the right, after decades of experience in the field. She had a level of knowledge about textiles that few could match. If anyone could argue to be the Great Know-It-All in quilting, particularly, it was her. 

     But she wasn't. And she didn't.

     Barbara Brackman's column had a long and fond post about this interesting woman. Laura's website is still active, as well -- take a look. Hopefully someone else is continuing the business. Lots of wonderful photos.

I was a bit too much in awe to count Laura as a 'friend,' but she was always kind and friendly to me. I liked her so much.

She will be missed.

Teleflora photo


No comments:

The Crockpot Is My Friend - Redux

 Another goodie from the Brickworks files: Stephanie over at "A Year of Slow Cooking" has made it her goal to use the crockpot e...